A 10-year-old boy in Oyo State in Nigeria’s South West region, has fled into out of reach after testing for the novel coronavirus.
Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State, narrating the ordeal, said the boy absconded to the northern part of Nigeria after testing positive in Oyo.
Makinde, said this via his Twitter handle on Thursday, while he confirmed additional eight new COVID-19 positive cases in the state.
“We also have a further update on the two absconded cases reported earlier today. They absconded before being admitted to any of our isolation centres.
“After intensive contact tracing, one of them has been found and admitted to the Infectious Diseases Centre, Olodo, Ibadan.
ALSO READ: 256 Nigerians repatriated from UAE arrive Lagos, to go into 14-day isolation
“The other is a 10-year-old boy who, eyewitnesses claimed, boarded a north-bound vehicle. His details had been sent to the Sokoto State PHEOC. Contact tracing is still ongoing.
“The COVID-19 confirmation tests of eight new cases just came back positive from the laboratory. This increases the number of confirmed cases in Oyo State to 52.
“Two confirmed COVID-19 patients were discharged from the Infectious Disease Centre, Olodo after receiving their second negative test results. This brings the number of discharged cases in Oyo State to 13.”
Makinde, however, urged members of the public to call the Emergency Operations Centre on any of the designated telephone numbers if they find travellers from other states arriving in their communities.
The eight new COVID-19 positive cases in Oyo State, has brought the number of infections in the state to 52.