By Kehinde Adeoye
Ever since the loss of the Vice President, Prof Yemi Osinbajo, SAN, at the presidential primary election, a lot has been said by his critics from the opposition party, especially about his involvement with the party’s activities and state duties.
Vice President Osinbajo’s loss at the APC presidential primaries on the night of Tuesday, June 7, 2022, came as a rude shock to many, both his supporters within and outside the party, for this, Nigerians who believed in his vision for a new Nigeria have not seized to ask questions.
The shock was much more because there was a widespread belief that he was the President’s choice due to the body language of President Muhammadu Buhari and the stylish manner in which he conducted his state-to-state consultations with stakeholders and party delegates.
Everyone began to have a change of notion when the convention commenced as other candidates began to step down for one of the front-line contenders, and eventual winner, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.
As the loss would shock anyone, Nigerians across party lines came out in support of the Vice President. Many believed that despite his loss at the polls, he was the winner because he has given his all and he is seen as the most qualified to take over from his boss in 2023.
According to those who reacted, they argued Osinbajo stood against all odds, especially with the way he was brandished as a betrayer especially by the present supporters of Asiwaju Tinubu because they believed he should never have run against his supposed political “benefactor.”
Still, that same June, Osinbajo didn’t even feel any loss, he has remained committed to carrying out his primary duties with all dedication and diligence, even representing the President on several occasions, chairing the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meetings and attending to other state duties and functions. His attitude to work is flag-waving.
Nigerians need to know that despite losing the primary election earlier in June 2022, Osinbajo did not stay idle for the rest of the month. He was active till the very last day of June. He remains committed to nation-building and his ambition to become the President or his loss at the polls has never clouded his enthusiasm and will to serve the nation and his vision for the new Nigeria.
The Vice President was very active on his job, even till Saturday, July 16, 2022, the day he went for a surgical procedure at Duchess Hospital in Ikeja, Lagos State. He was discharged on Monday, July 25, 2022, after a successful surgery on his right femur (thigh bone), and now recuperating.
For clarity, below is a rundown of his activities in June 2022.
1. VP Osinbajo Participated At The 10th Edition Of The Africa CEO Forum Themed: “Economic Sovereignty; From Ambition To Action” In Cote d’Ivoire On 13/06/2022.
2. He Received A Courtesy Visit From The US Under Secretary For Political Affairs, Victoria Nuland On 16/06/2022.
3. He Participated in the 8th Ordinary Session Of Council Of Ministers Of the Pan-African Agency Of The Great Green Wall (PAGGW) Event On 16/06/2022.
4. VP Osinbajo Receives Icon Of Hope Humanitarian Award From The Jamiyyar Matan Arewa Association During A Courtesy Visit To The State House On 17/06/2022.
5. He Received A Courtesy Visit From The Nigerian Institute Of Architects At The State House On 20/06/2022.
6. VP Osinbajo Receives In Audience, Prime Minister Of Guinea Bissau, Nuno Gomes Nabiam At The State House On 22/06/2022
7. VP Osinbajo Attended the Wedding Fathia Of The Son Of The Governor Of Nasarawa State, Gov. Abdullahi Sule At the Palace Of Emir Of Keffi In Nasarawa On 25/06/2022.
8. VP Osinbajo Present As President Buhari Swears In Acting Chief Justice Of Nigeria, Justice Olukayode Ariwoola At The Council Chambers In The State House On 27/06/2022.
9. VP Osinbajo Attends The 2022 United Nations International Day Against Drug Abuse And Illicit Drug Trafficking On 27/06/2022.
10. VP Osinbajo Attends The 5th MSME Awards & Dinner Night At The State House Old Banquet Hall On 27/06/2022.
11. VP Osinbajo Presides Over The Federal Executive Council Meeting On 29/06/2022.
12. VP Osinbajo Meets With Delegation From Kings International Church And Some Members Of Kuje Community At The State House On 29/06/2022.
13. VP Osinbajo Chairs Meeting Of The National Council On Privatization At The State House On 30/06/2022.
Vice President Osinbajo did not hibernate after his loss at the polls on June 6, 2022, he was actively involved full-time with state duties.