Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State has announced the state government’s cancellation of the 10:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m. curfew imposed on the residents following the breakout of the novel COVID-19 pandemic.
The government’s decision reviewing its stand and subsequent cancellation of the curfew was announced in a statement by Taiwo Adisa, the Chief Press Secretary to Governor Seyi Makinde.
Adisa in the statement said, the decision to lift the curfew follows the presentations made by relevant stakeholders and health experts at the task force meeting held on August 31, 2020, and presided over by Governor Makinde.
He said the decision to abolish the curfew was premised on the need to reduce the burden on business owners in the state, whom, it was noted, had been affected by the curfew, especially since the COVID-19 situation had begun to improve in the state.
The statement informed that Governor Makinde, however, warned night club operators not to allow persons in closed areas within their premises.
It added that research had confirmed that the virus spreads faster when people cluster in closed venues.
An advisory would be sent to night clubs owners by the Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), an arm of the task force, which will warn operators not to allow guests into their enclosed areas, the statement said.
The statement further said, government had warned residents of the state to continue to observe all COVID-19 health and safety protocols as the state “is not completely out of the woods with regards to COVID-19.”
The statement also informed that Governor Makinde has directed the EOC not to relent in data gathering and analysis in order to appropriately situate the context of the virus within the state.