Nigerian lawmakers, on Tuesday, entered into a shouting battle with Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo, who had been invited to give details of the Special Public Works Programme where 774,000 people would be employed.
Over the scuffle that ensued, Keyamo was later walked out of the National Assembly, Abuja, for his refusal to apologise after the legislators accused him of raising his voice against them.
At the investigative hearing, members of the Senate and House of Representatives Joint Committee on Labour had sought to find out the method of selection of a 20-man committee from each state for the programme.
The unemployed Nigerian are to be recruited by the Federal Government under the National Directorate of Employment (NDE) for three months beginning from October to December.
As a result, the committee through the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Labour, Employment, and Productivity, Mr. Godiya Akwashiki, asked Keyamo to explain why NDE was not being carried along, and the process he is adopting for the recruitment.
ALSO READ: Buhari promises timely delivery of Ajaokuta-Kaduna-Kano AKK Gas Pipeline Project, highlights economic benefits
But the drama began, as Keyamo, in his response said an Act that established the NDE gave his ministry powers to oversee the affairs and programmes of the agency.
The minister had gone further to inform the lawmakers that he had inaugurated a 20-member committee to implement the recruitment process and that the committee had started work.
Keyamo also informed the committee that the Director-General of the NDE, Nasiru Ladan, is a member of the committee.
Nigeria's lawmaker walked Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr Festus Keyamo, out of investigative hearing, over disagreement on Federal Government's decision to offer 774,000 jobs to unemployed Nigerians. 📌 pic.twitter.com/iHLzquFd5P
— The Daily Leaks (@TheDailyLeaks) June 30, 2020
However, when Ladan was asked by the committee to defend himself, the NDE boss said the minister was in a better position to answer all questions relating to the N52 billion budgeted for the recruitments of 774,000 Nigerians under the NDE.
The minister had further defended his action as he said his ministry had been told to supervise the recruitments by the President Muhammadu Buhari, which lawmakers disagreed with and this was followed by a heated argument.
But while the session became a rowdy one, the committee decided to invite Keyamo into a closed-door meeting, so the media won’t gain assess to proceedings, but the minister refused, insisting that further discussions be held in the presence of journalists.
For his refusal, the lawmakers told Keyamo to apologise to the committee, but the call which the minister ignored.
Consequently, a shouting match began between the two parties, after which he was asked to leave the meeting since he refused to apologise to the committee members.
The lawmakers’ claim was that Keyamo had no right to direct the committee on the pattern to conduct its proceedings.
Keyamo’s refusal to apologise to the committee after another round of shouting match that lasted 30 minutes forced the lawmakers to walk him out of the National Assembly.
Keyamo, as he left the investigative hearing, told journalists that the grouse of the lawmakers was because his refusal to allow them own the process, adding that they equally wanted more than the 15 per cent job slots allocated to them.
But Akwashiki, who presided over the joint National Assembly panel, had denied the two allegations levelled against them by Keyamo, as he alleged that Keyamo was only trying to build a political structure of 1, 000 youths in each of the 774 local government areas across the country with the 774,000 jobs without the involvement of the NDE.